If you are driving a van for the first time or perhaps drive a van infrequently there are many differences to driving a car which you should be aware of and remember. The following safety tips provide practical van driving advice to ensure your journey is safe for yourself, others passengers and pedestrians. Before You Start The Journey When you pick up your van from the rental station listen carefully to the advice and explanations regarding general operation.
- Ensure you know where all controls are and how to use them, if you are unsure ask.
- Wear sensible footwear that allows the correct use the pedal controls.
- Adjust the rear view and exterior wing mirrors to provide maximum vision.
- Adjust head restraints and seats for both comfort and safety.
- You MUST wear a seat belt if one is available, unless you are exempt.
- Before driving on the road, make sure the rear or side cargo doors are locked securely.
- Become familiar and comfortable with the size and responsiveness of the van by initially driving in an area with little traffic.